Order for Protection

Order for Protection Attorney in Shakopee, Minnesota Including Scott County, Carver County and Dakota County

An Order for Protection (OFP) orders an abuser to stop abusing you, communicating with you, or visiting your home or place of employment. These orders are usually granted when a person and/or his/her child(ren) have been the victim of domestic violence, as defined by statute. Mr. Peterson is an experienced Minnesota family law lawyer that can help you obtain, or defend against an OFP.

In order to obtain an Order for Protection, you must have a been a victim of domestic abuse. Under Minnesota law, any of the following constitute domestic abuse:

  • Physical abuse;
  • Verbal abuse;
  • Mental abuse; or
  • Threats and intimidation.

The abuser must be in a “significant relationship” to you, which can be:

  • A spouse;
  • Former spouse;
  • A person with whom you have cohabitated with in the past;
  • The parent of your child, regardless of whether you have been married or not in the past;
  • A person with whom you have had a romantic or sexual relationship in the past; or
  • A blood relative.

If you do not have a significant relationship with someone who has assaulted you, you can seek relief in the form of a Harassment Restraining Order.

Length of Order

Once an Order for Protection is granted, it can last for up to two years. As the expiration date approaches, the party who secured the Order may petition the Court for an extension.

Violation of an Order for Protection

Violation of the OFP is a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for up to 90 days, a fine up to $1,000, or both. Police officers may arrest offenders and take them into custody. The violation also constitutes contempt of court. Repeated violations can result in a felony conviction with long-term imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000.

Contact Christian Peterson Law Office for a free consultation!

Have additional questions? We offer free consultations to all potential clients. Call (612)269-1902, email at christian@crplaw.com or complete our free case evaluation form.